Safety Net Dental Clinics
Safety Net Dental Clinics across North Carolina help low-income families get dental care.
Finding dental care can be difficult for many low-income people. N.C. Medicaid and N.C. Health Choice for Children are programs that can help to cover dental expenses for people who qualify.
Tooth Talk, a collaboration of UNC-CH Gillings School of Global Public Health and the N.C. Division of Public Health, Oral Health Section, is a website of news and tips that supports childcare providers in their efforts to improve the oral health of very young children. Updated each week, the site also offers users an opportunity to subscribe to a free, brief, weekly email containing important dental health news and information about kids. This helpful website includes:
- Brief videos on everything from toothbrushing to fluoride varnish to how to communicate with parents.
- Speak Out: Survey of the Month, where users get to talk about what's up in their world and share challenges and best practices.
- Ask the Expert: Question of the Month, where a panel of experts answer users' questions about kids' dental health.
- Short articles and tips about children's oral health.
- A list of links to valuable resources.
This project is funded by a grant from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, in collaboration with Bull City Forward and NCSU's Institute of Emerging Issues. To connect to Tooth Talk, go to https://toothtalk.org.
Even though dental decay has been dramatically reduced over the last 20 years, almost 50 percent of North Carolina's school children still have tooth decay. Tooth decay can be further reduced by daily hygiene routines, the use of fluorides, and protective dental sealants. Our educational materials can help you help children prevent decay. Go to educational materials here.
Careers in Dental Health
The field of dentistry offers many opportunities for rewarding careers in North Carolina. Professional oral health care requires a team effort to ensure success. The core of the oral health care team is comprised of dentists, hygienists, assistants, and laboratory technicians. More on careers in dental health here.